Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:http://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12105/14390
Impact of early interferon-β treatment on the prognosis of patients with COVID-19 in the first wave: A post hoc analysis from a multicenter cohort
Biomed Pharmacother. 2022 Feb;146:112572.
Background: Interferon-β is an attractive drug for repurposing and use in the treatment of COVID-19, based on its in vitro antiviral activity and the encouraging results from clinical trials. The aim of this study was to analyze the impact of early interferon-β treatment in patients admitted with COVID-19 during the first wave of the pandemic. Methods: This post hoc analysis of a COVID-19@Spain multicenter cohort included 3808 consecutive adult patients hospitalized with COVID-19 from 1 January to 17 March 2020. The primary endpoint was 30-day all-cause mortality, and the main exposure of interest was subcutaneous administration of interferon-β, defined as early if started ≤ 3 days from admission. Multivariate logistic and Cox regression analyses were conducted to identify the associations of different variables with receiving early interferon-β therapy and to assess its impact on 30-day mortality. A propensity score was calculated and used to both control for confounders and perform a matched cohort analysis. Results: Overall, 683 patients (17.9%) received early interferon-β therapy. These patients were more severely ill. Adjusted HR for mortality with early interferon-β was 1.03 (95% CI, 0.82-1.30) in the overall cohort, 0.96 (0.82-1.13) in the PS-matched subcohort, and 0.89 (0.60-1.32) when interferon-β treatment was analyzed as a time-dependent variable. Conclusions: In this multicenter cohort of admitted COVID-19 patients, receiving early interferon-β therapy after hospital admission did not show an association with lower mortality. Whether interferon-β might be useful in the earlier stages of the disease or specific subgroups of patients requires further research.
COVID-19 | Interferon-β | Mortality | SARS-CoV-2 | Treatment
- Investigación > IIS > IDIBELL - Instituto de Investigación Biomédica de Bellvitge (Cataluña) > IIS - Artículos
- Investigación > IIS > IBIS - Instituto de Biomedicina de Sevilla (Andalucía) > IIS - Artículos
- Investigación > IIS > IiSGM - Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria Gregorio Marañón (Madrid) > IIS - Artículos
- Investigación > IIS > IDIPAZ - Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria Hospital La Paz (Madrid) > IIS - Artículos
- Investigación > ISCIII > Centro Nacional de Epidemiología (CNE) > ISCIII - Artículos
Files in this item
- ImpactEarlyInterferonβtreatmen ...
- Artículo principal